Friday, July 2, 2010

Culinary puzzle

My husband is still skeptical about paleo. Our taste preferences couldn't have been more different to begin with - and throwing grains out of the equation was just about the last straw. Still, I wanted to be able to connect with him, even where fundamental disagreements were in the way.

He's got a mathematical bend, so I figured I'd try his sensitive spot:

Culinary puzzle
OK, so you are told to make a grain-free bean-free salad.
So far you've got cubed cheese & ham. Keep adding ingredients till it's yummy!

It worked! Before long we had a beautiful salad put together, so tasty, I wouldn't change a thing!

Ingredients:
  • 1-2 Tomatoes, diced
  • 1-2 cups of finely shredded lettuce (I am not a big lettuce person, so I don't like a lot of greens in my salads!)
  • 1 cup of leftover meat (or lunch meat) of your choice (mine was baked ham, still trying to get through it!)
  • 1 cup of sharp cheddar cheese, small cubes
  • 1 bell pepper, diced
  • Optionally: add diced boiled egg and crumple crisp bacon while serving (don't put bacon in the salad bowl as it'll become soggy in storage)

    Dressing:
  • 3 tbs Olive oil
  • 1 tbs lemon or lime juice
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp dry mustard
  • 1 tsp salt
Jeff's requests:
  1. Lettuce has to be shredded fine to really soak in the dressing.
  2. No soggy bacon
  3. Italian dressing should be tangy, not sweet (note: no sugar in my dressing!)
Yum! the only problem - not enough.  :-)  Once husband Jeff got started on it, he couldn't put it down.  I was especially happy with the dressing. Spicy is always a problem with young kids around - I am forever looking for that hint of something that will delight adult palates while getting by the little ones.  Big success!

No comments:

Post a Comment