Monday, July 26, 2010

Butter is not a grease

I experimented with the Primal Cookbook's egg muffins recipe.  Basically, you make an omelet (skip the water), pour it into muffin cups and call it breakfast.  Neat idea, yeah?

The Primal Cookbook advocates using butter as a grease. I was a little surprised, but went for it.  Sigh... The muffins stuck to the pan and we wound up eating muffin tops!  They were pretty good, but lesson almost learned.

I tried butter again when cooking chicken legs.  (Usually, I prefer coconut oil, but I am out!) So, I put a little olive oil in, remembering my earlier muffin experience, and added butter. The chicken was yummy, but it lost its skin to the pan, sticking to it mercilessly. The pan was a mess and the chicken, nearly skinless. Still, my kids and I both delight in chicken drumstick and lunch was a complete success.

Have you guys had any luck using butter as a grease? What am I doing wrong?

2 comments:

  1. not sure what you are doing wrong, but yes, butter works as grease, it is how you prevent pop-overs sticking to the muffin tray, for instance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Just found your comment. Thrilled to have you here! :-) Like, totally, amazingly, jumping up and down.

    Perhaps I'll try much more butter next time!

    ReplyDelete