Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Grass fed: beef with taste

I don't know what's wrong with me the last few days - I can't stop blogging...  OK, I have opened a third food package I received from USA Wellness Meat.  I've already expressed my delight with their hot dogs, wrote about the nice eye of round roast the whole family enjoyed and here comes

Forget-the-spices chili

I was so upset, so worked up over personal problems, even the thought of cooking made me cry.  I looked up a recipe for chili.  Broke into tears.  I thought about what Granny does with ground beef.  Considered murder-suicide.  Finally, I figured, I'll just start throwing sh*t at the pan and something will stick.

I placed 1 lb of 75% fat ground beef into the pan and got it browning.  After a few minutes, I tasted the rendered fat.  Hey, it's not so bad!  Didn't have that oily thing going on.  Tasted more like, well, meat broth.  Cool.  Keep going.

Found a can of Italian tomatoes.  Never a bad idea.

Oh, I've got some zucchini squash.  I tasted a slice raw.  Not bad!  I should consider using it in a salad.  Sliced it up and threw it in.

5 minutes later I figured, I should consider spices.  I tasted it.  It was quite good!  I had another spoonful. Couldn't think of anything to add... Habitually, I thew a pinch of salt.

Should I add onions?  Nah, it tastes great.  So I let it reduce for another ten minutes - and there we have it!  Forget-the-spices chili.

Don't try this at home   - unless you have great ground beef.  My conclusion isn't that zucchini makes chili.  It's that this ground beef is amazing!

P.S. I don't get paid by those guys - I just love them.  :-)

[UPDATE: kids loved it.  They cleared pretty substantial portions and asked for more!]

1 comment:

  1. It sounds great! Tell me about the canned tomatoes...I'm not sure what is considered Paleo-friendly and what isn't. Plus, I feel like I read something about not eating tomatoes unless they are stored in glass for some reason...It hasn't stopped me from using them (they are a staple item for most dishes that I make when I am coming up with something twenty minutes AFTER dinner should be done!), but now that I am trying to get serious about this, I guess I should figure out what choices I need to make. If I buy the organic canned tomatoes, is that okay? Is it better? I know that some foods (like avocados...) don't need to be organic, but all of this is so much for me to process! Thanks--and sorry for all of the questions!

    ReplyDelete