Friday, July 23, 2010

Blogging about a part of me

Back in 2000 when I created my first livejournal post, I thought of blogging as a sort of online diary. Over the years I watched people badmouth their husbands, whine about their employees, share publicly sexual exploits and realized that I did not wish my life to become a laundry list of routine and uninteresting status updates. I wanted to be someone interesting, engaged intellectually, respected and worth following.

Today I realize that I've gone to the other extreme. I think of my blogs as collection of thoroughly prepared articles and have a problem publishing as each individual post takes several copies, lots of thinking and most never see the light of day.

A friend recently wrote about checking her premises with respect to her health, and focused on the problem with being a perfectionist.I would never, in a million years, would have called myself a perfectionist prior to this writing. However, it gave me pause.  I realized that there is only one kind of perfection (really, one kind of engagement!) that I truly value: intellectual. Having a bad idea is far worse than wearing your underwear inside out.

I am now engaged in the second most difficult task of my life: focused nutrition, which falls just behind parenting. When I say hard, I mean hard for me. Sure, some people might find breastfeeding or differential calculus to be a challenge. Me - cooking and cleaning up after myself! I created this blog in the hopes of that it will help me clarify my thinking. And what did it have to be? A collection of expert-like essays from the start.

Now that I think about it, it sort of makes me laugh. I am writing about my vast successes and sharing "wisdom" with one hand, while crying for help at the OEvolution list with the other.


Perhaps today, I will try a different, more humble approach for blogging. Still no sexual exploits, husband bashing or job whining.  Well, OK.  Just this once.

  • Sexual exploits: Trying to get pregnant. Primary difficulty: conception requires far more energy than it used to.
  • Husband bashing: He is a god damn picky eater. Boy, is this making my Paleo adventure more difficult!
  • Job whining: My boss leaves me alone until the project is completed. I work from home and it gives me an intellectual break from the daily routine. I've had it worse.
Now that this is out of my system - I would like to dedicate this blog to the story of making Paleo work for me, coping with cooking for the family, monitoring my health, energy and other symptoms and sharing the ups and downs. And to my readers (both of you!) thanks for stopping by. Leave me a comment. Comments make me tingle all over!

No comments:

Post a Comment