Friday, July 2, 2010

Beautiful holiday ham for a busy mom

The best secret my mother-in-law has passed to me is baking ham. Whenever I serve my creation, people take in a sharp breath and ask me if I made it myself.  "Well, it started with a little pig name Pete..." no one wants to hear the rest.

The truth is, it's the easiest recipe I have in my repertoire. Before Paleo, I kept it handy for pretending I knew how to cook when we had company.

Ingredients: Ham.

Yeah, really!  One problem, though. Grocery stores frequently fail to carry ham during the off-season.  I found out, Costco has them all year round, cheap and beautiful! While you are there, I recommend picking up a stack of "catering" pans - think, foil roasting pans. Really, you don't want to have to clean the pan after a good meal, do you?

Fill the pan with 3 in or so of water. Put the ham face down in it. Sprinkle some love & joy. (That's not a special spice, it has to come from the inside!) Set your oven to 350F, timer to 2 1/2 - 3 hours and take your kids to the park.

When you come back, you'll have a delicious dinner ready for you. I would skip any kind of a glaze - all that sugar! (If you want a sugary treat, pour a little maple syrup over the ham.) It tastes great as-is, with some veggies on the side.

And for the rest of the week, you have a beautiful option for omelets, o'derves, snacks and just about anything else. Oh, and don't forget to save the drippings to add to your ham bone for a delicious soup.  (Coming soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment