Sunday, April 10, 2011

Paleo for kids

I have been inspired and motivated to cook creatively recently.  After reading about the dangers of protein to kids at the PerfectHealthDiet, I understood why I have been struggling in feeding my kids meat. I was already coming to the conclusion that there need to be a variety of vegetables on the tables for kids to choose from in order to have a happy and peaceful family meal.  Now I understand why.

In brief, breast milk is composed of 7% of protein. Increasing protein to even as much as 9% in formula leads to problems.  Cordain recommends limiting protein to no more than 20-25% of caloric intake for pregnant women.

So how much is exactly right for kids? There isn't enough evidence to suggest a specific number, but it is clear that they should not eat any more than they are willing and happy to do. This means, no brow-beating them into finishing their meat or clearing their plate. Presented with healthy options, they should naturally gravitate toward a good balance. This means, plenty of dishes to choose from at every meal and lots of choices among different types of calories: protein, fat, carbohydrates.

Truthfully, it's not so hard to do.  I often start meals with a veggie dip appetizer:  A ranch dip with carrots, cauliflower, celery.  (While I normally buy the ranch dip at the store, having run out I was delighted with this incredibly easy home-made ranch alternative. If made for kids, wait to add garlic & onion powder, adding a little at a time to taste.  Otherwise it's deliciously spicy for adult palate, but I had to quadruple the recipe to get it back to tolerable for kids!)

I often slice tomatoes and bell peppers to serve on the side of any meal. They are our family favorites!

A cup of tomato soup or home-made beef/chicken stock garnished with bacon bits & cheese is a very popular option.

Salads are time-consuming, but these easy veggifiers create a splendid-looking table and guarantee that they won't leave hungry. In the meantime I am also increasing the amount of fat present in all of our meals, using the tips I worked out earlier for myself.

Finally, I am beginning to experiment with super-energy deserts.

In a food processor, mix heavy cream or coconut milk with any frozen fruit or berry and you have instant ice cream. The whole family can work together to prepare - then to enjoy. I like adding shredded coconut to mine, but the texture is too much for the kids. For them, melted dark chocolate does so much more! Making ice cream right on the dinner table with a food processor is a fun after-dinner activity and eating it right after is a tasty bonus.

9 comments:

  1. This is so true! Kids really do moderate their own protein intake if given the chance. When I started weaning my daughter years ago, I tried to keep her macro-nutrients similar to that of breast milk which is super high in fat. Since kids aren't going for a ton of protein, it's really important to keep the fat high so that they don't go overboard with carbs.
    I too have a blog too about raising kids paleo. I hope we can learn from each other!
    http://theprimalparent.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peggy, thank you so much for commenting and allowing me to discover your blog! Your latest post is such an inspiration! I have to read it again and again, integrating every word as I move forward in this oh-so-lonely journey! (I have added you to my Paleo Kids page).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thrilled I can be an inspiration on this lonely lonely road! Maybe all of the bloggers out there these days, lending support and experience to all the curious and brave souls will lend momentum and grow this underground cult of ours. Let's have hope anyway :) For now, I am just thankful that my daughter is in this with me! (thanks so much for adding the link, but by the way, it doesn't actually lead to my site. hehehe)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My youngest daughter (8) has a lot of allergies and one is nuts (peanuts but the Dr said to stay away from all until we more down the road). How can I make sure she is getting enough protein since she cannot have nuts? I also would love to make some things I see on here but I see almond flour and I can't make that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The link for the ranch dip did not work, but am very interested in finding the recipe! Could you repost?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tips--I am always concerned that my children aren't getting ENOUGH protein--now that is ONE thing I can stop worrying about...
    I have been partially Paleo (is that a thing?!) for a while now, but want to become a completely Paleo family--I think it will be such a gift to my children if they are used to eating this way now so that they will become healthy adults. That said, I am so happy to have found your blog and others to help me to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a really informative article! Thanks for posting it.

    I hope more parents take the initiative in introducing Paleo to their children. I've started a kid-friendly Paleo recipe blog to try and promote some kid-friendly recipes as I think having more kids eat Paleo would do wonders in reducing the horrible obesity and diabetes rates amongst children.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I was wondering what you guys feed your kids for lunch...I'm a day and a half new to this diet and I'm so baffled at what to make for my toddlers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers?
    I'm kinda paranoid about losing everything I've worked hard on.
    Any suggestions?
    Also visit my blog : elitecigarettestore.com

    ReplyDelete