Saturday, October 9, 2010

Paleo pregnancy

Or How I almost fell off the wagon

Tired, lightly nauseated, out of breath as a result of movement, a near-constant bad taste in my mouth.  This has been me for the past month. Only I can't really blame the pregnancy too much. Sure at nine weeks I am feeling less than perfect, but I could do a lot better.

Anyway, this was what I decided upon waking up this morning. It's been a ridiculous rollercoaster: I make yummy beefy meatballs and I feel great. The next two meals I find myself simply too lazy to cook and by the end of the day, all I can do is park the kids in front of the TV and lie down. Stupid, right? OK, I won't beat myself up over it too much, but I would like to share my experience and some of the new resolutions.

No, I did not go back to eating pizza. I seriously considered it. About once a week I thought, it's simply too hard to cook meat three meals a day. Our culture is optimized toward quick high-carb grain-based snacks that get us through the day. And when beef jerky lost its appeal a few weeks ago, I am dead in the water.

One factor prevented me from giving up: I feel healthy! Everyone in my house has been deathly sick with a nasty cold the kids brought from school. It's been going for nearly a month. I felt the beginnings of a few symptoms - but I never got all the way to sick. Paleo is supposed to strengthen your immune system by preventing gut flora from penetrating the barriers and entering the blood stream (Mark's Daily Apple has nice light-weight readable article on the subject and googling for leaky gut syndrome will yield much more.) Bottom line, eating *proper* paleo has made me feel ten years younger by giving me energy. I lost that through sloth, but at least I don't go all the way from lazy to sick by going back to grains.

Here is an interesting observation: cravings.  I love fruit. I can live on fruit.  (Well, as it turns out, I can't - it simply does not contain calories and nutrients I need - but in the past I've tried!) And now, with bad taste in my mouth, I crave it. I eat it. It tasted wonderful. Then, it leaves me tasting the remaining bitterness in my mouth and begging for more.  It's a lot like an itch: you know it's there, you can't get away from it - and you know that once you start scratching, it'll get worse. But you do it anyway!

Today, we (you know, the rational me and the pregnant me) have reached a compromise: I can eat fruit as long as it is supplemented with something containing a good dose of fat, to satisfy hunger: cream, (oh boy, peaches and cream!), eggs, avocado. There is a carton full boiled eggs in the fridge and I am ready for the challenge!  It was amazing how much more satisfying a bowl of raspberries with cream was than just straight raspberries, even more so than having them with yogurt!

Second decision: I seriously need to stockpile food and have a wide variety available to choose from. That's how I got started, but then lost track.  Tonight, I am making the family all-time-favorite pork crockpot!  Pork is defrosting as we speak.

I need to figure out how to do better for breakfast.  I cannot start my day with a cup of yogurt. I simply can't last long enough to have the energy to prepare lunch. Some ideas involve looking up breakfast casseroles that can be prepared in advace and heated up with some fresh ingredients. Just thinking about it makes me hungry.  (OK, yes, I am pregnant!)

And finally, make fat an all-important meal ingredient.  Today's lunch: shrimp (kids' favorite), artichoke with melted butter and - bacon. I don't want to cook a big meal - but bacon will get me through to dinner!

Wish me luck.  I think I need some support in the days to come. :-)  One thing that keeps me going: I know that after 2-3 days of three good meals a day, I'll have so much energy, this will all become easy!

9 comments:

  1. Have you tried plain Greek yogurt? It's very thick and has great mouth feel. A single serving really fills me up and holds me until late afternoon. Fage's 0% has 7g of carbs per 6 oz. serving. Their 2% has 8g of carbs per 7 oz. serving. If you can find it anywhere, the full fat version would be your best bet (at 6g of carbs per 7 oz. serving), but I've never seen it. I use a Splenda packet to add sweetness, but I'm sure it would be great with fresh fruit.

    http://www.fageusa.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, J-Wo. I have tried the greek yogurt at Trader Joe's and didn't find anything special about it. But I should try fageusa. I've heard about it before. Though the yogurt I eat most of the time and is "cream line yogurt" with 6g fat/8oz serving. Pretty close. I also discovered, cottage cheese works far better, having a little more substance to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your blog! I am almost 10 weeks pregnant and have had an unsuccessful search thus far for resources or blogs about being pregnant and paleo. Having a mother who is concerned that I and my 3 year old don't eat grains/carbs and a husband who is supportive but, obviously, not pregnant have not worked in my favor!

    I find myself in similar cycles of not eating a good breakfast (the bacon was overcooked yesterday and I couldn't eat it), feeling miserable by lunch and sliding through a horrible day because I didn't eat enough fat and nothing "sounded good" to eat.

    I look forward to following you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm at 38 weeks right now with my 4th child. This is our first to get primal nutrition. My first trimester I wasn't sick unless I ate any sugar and I only really eat fruit like blueberries or 88% dark chocolate-but even that was too much. And I was tired, so I didn't eat much. By the second trimester I could handle a little fruit or chocolate and now I am fine with a banana or apple here or there. I over did sugar for Thanksgiving so I'm trying for a lower carb week right now. Might try to keep it up until baby arrives (3 to 4 weeks is what I expect based on the others taking their sweet time). It is nice to see more bloggers covering paleo pregnancies! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I just started Paleo, going into my second week of Paleo and I just found out I'm about 4 weeks pregnant. So now I'm wondering should I continue on Paleo or what? Lots of the symptoms women say they get I've not experienced. I am tired, breast a little achy, but no nausea or worse. I don't know if it's because i"m too early in the pregnancy or is it because of Paleo. Your thoughts? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've wondered about this so many times. Asked every doctor I could come across. The unilateral opinion: no, avoiding grains does not cause pregnancy problems.

    One note of caution: if you are not eating grains, you are not consuming the folic acid that flour is enriched with. So you seriously need to do prenatal vitamins and *fast*!

    ReplyDelete

  8. I like the valuable information you provide in your articles. I’ll bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently.
    I am quite sure I will learn many new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next..


    easy paleo recipes

    ReplyDelete

  9. I like the valuable information you provide in your articles. I’ll bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently.
    I am quite sure I will learn many new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next..


    easy paleo recipes

    ReplyDelete