Monday, September 6, 2010

School lunch

I've been having such a hard time figuring out how to balance my comfort with kids' nutrition, peace and harmony at meal times and a fundamentally unhealthy diet other adult members of our family follow. Really, how do I raise healthy kids when bagels, candy, cakes and pasta are considered reasonable staple by those they love?

Little steps, I have decided! My goal for this year is to expand their taste palates to include lots of meat and paleo-friendly carbs over the course of this year, learn to cook and plan for a transition to proper nutrition perhaps starting in the fall of 2011.

My son is starting the new year of pre-school tomorrow.  I need to have a plan for what he will eat for lunch if I have any hope of feeding him what I believe is right.  I have located a list of wonderful ideas at Everyday Paleo.

So here is my tentative meal plan (not all of this can be packed to go to school - but great for after-school snack):

IngredientsMeal options
Yogurt
Whipped Cream
Berries
Peaches
Palm Sugar
Cashews
Dried blueberries
Dried cranberries
Carrots, cauliflower, celery
Veggie dip
Chicken nuggets
Cubed meat
Cubed cheese
Cabbage/lettuce
Bell peppers
Hot dogs
Meatloaf
Bananas
Whipped cream & berries
Healthy fruity yogurt (frozen?)
Berries mix
Healthy Trail mix
Crunch Veggies with dip
Chicken nuggets w/ketchup
Chef-style salad
O'derves luncheon
Meatloaf pieces with ketchup
Boiled eggs
Nutty muffins



I have purchased little sauce cups of the sort you find in Mexican restaurants and they work great for ketchup and other dips. This is still work in progress, but here you go.  Any other ideas?

[UPDATE] I would like to try these baked sweet potato chips, too!
[ONE MORE THING] Found an interesting snack: almond cucumbers I have to try.

1 comment:

  1. Have you seen Primal Kitchen - A Family Grokumentary at primalkitchen.blogspot.com? The author posts the daily lunches she prepares for her preschooler. You might get some ideas from her.

    There's also Coffee and Vanilla at coffeandvanilla.com, where the mom posts the daily lunches she packs for her kindergartener. They're whole food rather than primal (sandwiches are often included) but she's got some good ideas for the rest of the meal - the veggies and fruit and so on - including ways to make it fun for little ones.

    ReplyDelete