Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Honey Mustard chicken nuggets

For the paleo kids!


Actual chicken nuggets
 from this recipe
I've always been disappointed with the almond meal solution when it comes to chicken nuggets.  First of all, almond meal is very dry, often generating nuggets I feel like choking on.  Second, it does not coat evenly and they come out looking kind of scruffy. Finally, they just don't have the right color: dull biege instead of the golden I am used to.

This time, I tried something different and the result was incredible! If you don't believe me, just look at the picture taken as they came out (they are a little paler than in the picture - but the even look it what amazed me). This recipe is for 1 lb of chicken. Quadruple and freeze after cooking for a perfect lunchbox option.

Step 1. The marinade.

1/2 water, 1/4 cup warm honey, 1/4 cup grey poupon mustard, 1 lb chicken. The marinade works very fast and you can leave them there for fifteen minutes. You will be surprised to see that the chicken is turning white as the acid works to cook the outside right in the marinade! The liquid is reduced dramatically as it penetrates the chicken.

Step 2. The coating.

1 cup almond flour; 1/2 tsp dry mustard + optional spices to taste (I like garlic powder, ginger root, palm sugar). Coat the chicken, a few at a time - I saw a much more even coat than when using almond flour alone.

Step 3. The baking.

Line the sheet with foil to reduce cleanup. I did 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Check on them after fifteen minutes. You'll see brown circles forming around the nuggets. When that first happens, it's time for them to come out. Wait a few minutes more - and they are stuck to the bottom!

The nuggets have a vague hint of honey and mustard, barely noticeable. The chicken is sooth and tender, not too dry.  I loved them as much as the kids.  I also made honey mustard sauce by mixing mustard & honey 2:1 for myself. Kids ate them with ketchup. Yum!

12 comments:

  1. These look good, I tried with just almond meal and had the same results you mention (dry, etc.). Ill have to try these out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Let me know how they come out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I missed it, but what kind/part of the chicken do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there something else I might be able to use other than almond flour? My daughter has nut allergies. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. could try coconut flour. Not sure if that is included in the nut allergy. It will have a different taste I'm sure.

      Delete
  5. so you used almond flour intead of almond meal and the texture wasnt so gritty, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for missing all these comments...

    OK. I use chicken breast - but boneless thigh meat is great. My family doesn't care for it as much.

    I do use almond flour, Bob's Red Mill.

    Instead of almond flour... you could try millet flour, I suppose, or flax seed. But I've never attempted that. Just do a search for "Bob's Red Mill" on amazon - they have every kind of flour there is, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not in reply to the person with nut allergies, but my own question. Any views on substituting pecan meal for almond flour? (Due to almond issues).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi I am not sure why but i made the chicken nuggets with hte almond flour and I ended up needing just under 2 cups of almond flour for the coating but my chicken coatting was kinda gummy any suggestions for next time?.... new to using alternative flours so I am not sure how they behave thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Claire, I say - go for it! The principle is the same.
    To the last commenter - my only guess is that perhaps the chicken coming out of the marinade was too wet? If you had to double the flour and it came out gummy, this sounds logical. Try to tap the excess fluid off of it would be my guess.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When coating the chicken, am I correct in thinking that you do not dip them in egg/milk before coating them in flour? Just the marinade then the flour mix, right? I'm babysitting tonight and am super excited to try this tonight !! Any suggestions for sides ?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made these for my granddaughter, and she and my husband loved them!

    ReplyDelete