Monday, September 13, 2010

Junk food takes its toll

This weekend we went on a wonderful vacation rather modern caveman-style: RV camp & nude resort.  Sounds daring? Well, we decided, it was time to educate our cave babies about proper attitudes toward their bodies. This came on the heels of a neighbor threatening to call the police next time our kids (two and four!) ran out of the house naked. While they are comfortable in and out of their clothing at home, they know to get dressed before leaving the door - but accidents can happen.

After some consideration, I chose not to moon Steve, the neighbor, and made reservations for a long-promised trip to the "naked place" instead. The trip was wonderful with one caveat: food.

I am now six weeks pregnant and up until this point, have felt better than during either one of my other pregnancies: no nausea, not starving, no exhaustion or any of the other unpleasantries associated with being pregnant. This time, though, I failed to plan.  I was all out of beef jerky (never leave home without it!) and burnt the chicken that was intended for lunch.  We stopped at Wiener Schnitzel and I chose to make an exception, ordering my favorite craut dog on a bun.  In the final analysis it wasn't that great and by the time we got to our vacation spot, I felt horrible.  We went to the local restaurant where I was able to order a steak (4oz meat, a mountain of veggies). Not exactly what I needed at the end of a hungry day.  But it was decidedly better than nothing.

The next morning's breakfast was a delight but not a very good day overall.  And, of course, when we got back, I was too lazy to figure out what to defrost to have a real meal.  In the end, I averaged less than one good meal per day for three days running.  Boy, do I feel pregnant. Ready to throw up and all! (Yeah, I do remember feeling something like this with my other pregnancies!)


Today is a fix-it day. Super-yummy yogurt breakfast followed by a baked chicken with artichoke. I hope to get to take some pictures and blog about it. It's nice to be at my cave with Trader Joe's down the street, a nice electrical oven and great internet access! Grok would be so jealous...

No comments:

Post a Comment