Saturday, February 12, 2011

Pepper Steak

Here is a go-to quick pepper steak recipe that has been a staple for my family long before paleo and how I adapted it.

Spaghetti:

... squash, that is. Normally, this recipe is served over pasta and rice. Spaghetti squash does quite well - and I don't like eating pepper steak without something to break up the flavor.

Before you start, stick your spaghetti squash in the oven. I prefer baking it sliced in half, rind side up. (I'll also fry it in butter at the end, stay with me.)

Ingredients:

  • 1lb flank or chuck steak, cut into strips. 
  • 1/2 cup or so worcheshire sauce
  • 1 tbsp cooking oil (I like coconut, of course!)
  • 1 can mexican tomatoes
  • 2 cans beef broth
  • 1 bell pepper, diced into strips
  • 1 onion, chopped
Cooking:

Heat up the oil. Drown in it worcheshire sauce and cook for 2 min over medium-high heat. The sauce will begin to carmelize, which is what we are going for. Throw in half the onion and cook another 2 minutes.  Add the steak. Brown till... well... it's brown, 5 min or so.

Pour the broth & tomatoes (with the juice) over it. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes. Uncover and give it another half an hour, allowing the fluid to evaporate, leaving the meat with plenty of au jus.  

Now is the time to get spaghetti out of your spaghetti squash, throw some butter in the pan and fry it for 5-10 minutes. This will prevent it from being quite so watery. I thought, frying was a substantial improvement!

Throw in remaining onion and pepper, toss with the meat, cook 2 more minutes and serve.


 This recipe is festive enough, it's as good for entertaining as it is for a family meal. It is pretty successful with the kids: it does have a kick from the mexican tomatoes, but without being too spicy. The spaghetti squash was voted down as my family is not used to it - but I enjoyed it. Still, it has unusual texture, so be cautious with picky eaters!

No comments:

Post a Comment