Monday, March 7, 2011

Excellent lamb

I bought a leg of lamb at Costco for $5/lb.  The price was right, but what do you do with lamb?  While I pondered the question, the lamb sat in the freezer. Months went by. Eventually, I decided I wanted my freezer back. Still, what do you do with lamb?

Growing up in Russia, I knew that lamb could be tasty. However, each time I tried ordering it at an American restaurant, even at nice steakhouses, I was very disappointed. Well, no guts, no glory, right?  I did what anyone in my position would do: type "easy lamb" into google - and wolla - it came back with what turned out to be the best lamb recipe I have ever had! Not to mention the easiest. And if you think, you don't like lamb, do try this approach. I would be very surprised if you liked steak, but walked away unhappy from this slightly Mediterranean and totally excellent lamb.

Ingredients
You need 4-5 lamb chops. I sliced leg of lamb despite Granny's objections that one doesn't make chops out of the leg.  I said, "Well, it's lamb - and I am chopping it!"
3 tbs butter
1 can of pineapple chunks (the big kind - 1 lb 4 oz)
1 bell pepper chopped up
1 tbs of wheat-free tamari (the Paleo-friendly soy sauce)

The equipment
A large frying pan with a lid.

The cooking
Melt the butter in a large pan.
Place the chops on the pan. Brown on one side. Use medium-high heat to get a nice carmelized crust.
Turn over the lamb. Add pineapple with juice, bell pepper, soy sauce. Cover and simmer on low for an hour.

The review.
The lamb is extremely tender, but not watery like meat comes out of a crockpot. Its texture is more like an extremely tender roast.  The sauce does not taste sweet. Somehow, the flavor of the lamb combines with the pineapple and bell pepper to create something new. You do have to like canned pineapple to enjoy it. But this is one of my sweet successes. I tried something new and highly dangerous - and I've got a great meal! Even Granny who got me very grumpy earlier with her comments about lamb, my cooking and all that - had to admit, this was quite eatable.

Please come tell me your impressions if you make it!  I am dying to find out.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment