Friday, December 31, 2010

Fruit indulgences

The hardest thing for me to give up on Paleo is fruit. As far as I am concerned, world peace has got nothing compared to a steady supply of grapes.  I am currently on a mission to make Paleo easier and more comfortable for me.  Here is how I have integrated fruit.


  1. Grape fruit - the red kind - turns out to be absolutely delicious!
  2. On apples, I stick to Granny Smith as a low-sugar option. They've always been my favorite anyway.
  3. Berries berries berries. Pricey, but well worth it.
  4. The most important discovery: fruit is always better with a good doze of fat & protein:
    • Apples & nut butter. I make a sandwich of two thin slices of apples with nut butter inside. Yum!
    • Whipped cream. Not enough sugar to count and it turns a sin into a win.  :-)
    • How about both? Yesterday, it was pear + peanut butter (I didn't have any other kind, *sniff*) + whipped cream. What a delight!
    • Yogurt. Everyone knows, it works well with berries, but oh my god peaches!!! Then sprinkle roast coconut on top.  You could almost call that a meal. Or, if dinner fails - a backup option.
    • Heavy cream. When I was a little girl, I used to love eating berries in a bowl of milk, as a cereal. It's even better - and way more filling with cream.
So, I've relaxed and I am enjoying it. If I had a good meal, I won't turn my sweet fruit tooth down. A few days ago, a friend sent over a fruit basket filled with all my favorites, including a pineapple! Have you ever had pineapple with whipped cream? "... you should. For this is fun and fun is good!" just as the doctor [Seuss] ordered.

No comments:

Post a Comment