Monday, June 28, 2010

Amazing children-friendly ribs

Alex (4yrs) and Lily (almost 2) are officially fed up with my paleo cooking experiments.  Recently, Alex announced, "I can't stand my life any more!" A little prying uncovered that the horrid fish I concocted for lunch was his undoing.

Today I was determined to make them happy. Ribs were to save the day! My goal was two-fold:
  • Ribs that are tender enough, toughness isn't an obstacle for the kids
  • No spicy sauce!
It's bad enough, I am changing their diet right as their palates are becoming established, I don't want them to have to deal with extra problems, if they can be avoided.

Guest what! It worked!!! I am the happiest cave mommy ever. They cleared their plates and asked for more. Oh, and it was quite easy. Total dealing with it time, including setting the table, couldn't have been more than 20-25 minutes.

And here are my secrets.

1. Fall off the bone ribs . The key to this recipezaar recipe is that it is cooked slowly in the oven rather than on the grill. This is particularly convenient for a busy morning out - we left and had them cooking for 2 1/2 hours - and they were ready and perfect as we got home.
2. Home-made BBQ sauce. This one I am so proud of - it's all me in the midst of a morning rush, with some creativity sprinkled on top (all ingredient measure approximate, to taste):
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup mustard (Alex's eyes popped out when he found out the hated mustard was there - after he consumed a plateful!)
  • 1 tbs worceshire
  • 2 tbs olive oil
  • 1tsp vinegar
  • 1-2 tbs coconut sugar (aren't you proud of me? One could use brown sugar instead)
  • a few drops of "liquid smoke"
That's it. I never cooked the sauce (except on the ribs) and offered remainder as a dip.  It's made mostly of ketchup, right? Alex was saying, "Lily, you have to try this ketchup! It's amazing!"

No comments:

Post a Comment